Thursday, June 27, 2013

YOGA AND WOMEN'S EMPOWERMENT

Why does so much of the contemporary yoga literature, especially that written by women (e.g., Ana Forrest), just sound like a women's empowerment screed? I am a supporter of women's empowerment. Not that women need my support. But is women's empowerment what much of contemporary yoga is about now? Is contemporary yoga, a least in the West where yoga has become primarily a business (e.g., all that designer yoga apparel, all that advertisement in yoga journals), exploiting women's insecurities and vulnerabilities?  It is all so superficial.  So chatty. So social.

I need to find a traditional yoga teacher, one who will help me focus on yoga--all the limbs of yoga. I need to find a yoga studio where the instructors and students get it. Where the yoga is sacred, and a search for the divine; where the studio, the yoga mat, the yoga practice, etc., are sacred places and time. A place where the substantive hard work of yoga is embraced.

Ah, if only I could find a true and honest teacher!