Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 IS A YEAR OF PURGING AND DOWNSIZING MY LIFE

Over the last two months of 2013 I managed to purge more than 1,400 books from my home library. Some of books I have had since undergraduate days, and quite a few from graduate school. Those books have travelled with me from Chicago, to Los Angeles, to New Haven. Who knows where they will travel now. Perhaps to the shredder. :-(  I also got rid of clothing, and an assortment of, need I say, JUNK.

The year 2014 will continue the purge, with the intent to rid myself of another 1,500 books by the end of March.

In 2013 I did acquire my two dogs. Charlie in March, then Sam in October. Though a challenge at times, both are a joy and, to be honest, compensation for the friendships purged (or who purged me).  Here too the purge will probably continue as time and distance severs what little ties that bind.

To label 2013 a "good" year or a "bad" year would be trivial. To anticipate 2014 to be a "good"or "bad" year would be silly. Instead, I will try to live the year with truth and nonattachment.