Friday, August 4, 2017

H.L. MENCKEN: THE DAYS TRILOGY

M. L Mencken, The Days Trilogy, Expanded Edition: Happy Days; Newspaper Days; Heathen Days; Days Revisited: Unpublished Commentary, edited by Marion Elizabeth Rodgers (New York: Library of America (2014) (From "Drill for a Rookie": "I made up my mind at once that my true and natural allegiance was to the Devil's party, and it has been my firm belief ever since that al; persons who devote themselves to forcing virtue on their fellow men deserve nothing better than kicks in the pants. Years later I put that belief into a proposition which I ventured to call Mencken's Law,to wit: Whenever A annoys or injures B on the pretense of saving or improving X, A is a scoundrel. The moral theologians, unhappily , have paid no heed to this contribution to their science, and so Mencken's Law must wait for recognition until the dawn of a more enlightened age." Id. 224, 234.).