Wednesday, January 31, 2018

FERNANDO PESSOA

Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet, edited and translated from the Portuguese by Richard Zenith (New York: Penguin Classics/Penguin Books, 2003) ("All I asked of life is that it ask nothing of me. At the door of the cottage I never had, I sat in the sunlight that never fell there, and I enjoyed the future old age of my tired reality (glad that I hadn't arrived there yet). To still not have died is enough for life's wretches, and to still have hope. . . . ." ". . . . . satisfied  with dreams only when I'm not dreaming, satisfied with the world only when I'm dreaming far away from it. A swinging pendulum, back and forth, forever moving to arrive nowhere, eternally captive to the twin fatality of a centre and a useless motion." Id. at 120-121.).

Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet, edited by Jeronimo Pizarro, and translated from the Portuguese by Margaret Jull Costa (New York: New Directions, 2017).

Fernando Pessoa, A Little Larger Than the Entire Universe: Selected Poems, edited and translated from the Portuguese by Richard Zenith (New York: Penguin Classics/Penguin Books, 2006) ("Don't try to build in the space you suppose / Is future, Lydia, and don't promise yourself / Tomorrow. Quit hoping and be who you are / Today. You alone are your life. / Don't plot your destiny, for you are not future. / Between the cup you empty and the same cup / Refilled, who knows whether your fortune / Won't interpose the abyss?" [1923] Id. at 114.).