Thursday, May 2, 2013

CRIMINAL OR A JUDGE?

Sonali Deraniyagala, Wave (New York: Knopf, 2013) ("Steve and I encouraged our son's meanderings, defending him when his teacher complained that he held up the science lesson by insisting that cars were alive. But I worried about Malli's five-year-old cunning the day he deliberately tripped his brother up on the street. I wasn't there, our nanny described what happened, and Vik has a gash on his head. 'And the police saw you doing this and called me to complain,' I scolded, taking my own story too far now. He believed me but was undaunted. 'They didn't say what time it happened, did they? They didn't say what color the two boys were, maybe the.boys were white, some other boys.' 'Will he be a criminal or a judge?' I later asked Steve." Id. at 143-144.).