Thursday, September 26, 2013

APPEARANCE OVER REALITY

William H. Gass, Middle C: A Novel (New York: Knopf, 2013) ("Joey would find that, in America, at least, if you turned out a tune when you played the piano, then you played the piano; the skill was given you as easily as a second cup; appearances were better than reality; and the sight of someone slightly inept was immensely reassuring to those woefully without ability." Id. at 65. "Nobody has worked harder to get nowhere than I have." Id. at 276. I can very much relate to that! "I'm not sure I like the way you listen, Joey. You let me talk about myself until I feel bad." Id. at 276. Something women, in different words, have said to me countless times over the years. I will not reproduce it here, but there is a wonderful little song, called "The Faculty Meeting," on pages 301-303. Also see Cynthia Ozick, "Holding the Key," NYT Book Review, Sunday, 3/31/2013.).