Tuesday, October 8, 2013

WHEN WE ALL THINK ALIKE, THEN NO ONE IS THINKING. - Walter Lippman

I find myself increasing uninterested in people. Perhaps I am a misanthrope. Or, perhaps, it is because, in recent years, I have seldom encountered a person who thinks for himself or herself. I don't mean persons having original thoughts, for true original is extremely rare. It is very hard to have a truly original thought; the odds are stacked against it. And I don't mean persons merely with opinions. There is a lot of opinion, most of it thoughtless opinion, out there. What I mean is someone who is committed to ideas and, more importantly, committed to critically assessing ideas. Good critical thinkers. I cannot help believing such people are out there, somewhere. But I seem to live in a zip code called conformity. I need to move.