Wednesday, October 18, 2017

MUSLIM WOMEN ATTIRE

Elizabeth Bucar, Pious Fashion: How Muslim Women Dress (Cambridge, Massachusetts, & London, England: Harvard U. Press, 2017) ("During my summer in Iran, I realized that modest dress had a moral effect on me. It altered how I saw myself and how I interacted with others, and it influenced my expectations for how Islamic public space should be organized in terms of gender segregation. It also had an aesthetic effect on me, shaping what I expected from and admired about Muslim women's clothing. This is all to say I found surprise, pleasure, and delight in pious fashion, as well as an intellectual challenge to the neat boxes I had once put things in: modest dress as imposed on women fashion as a symptom of patriarchy, and aesthetics as separate from ethics. This book is an exploration of this delight and challenge." Id. at ix.).