Saturday, March 17, 2012

EMBRACE THE SEED OF FEAR

Thich Nhat Hanh, Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames (New York: Riverhead Books, 2001) ("[T]he Buddha said that all of us have the seed of fear, but most of us suppress it and keep it locked in the dark. To help us identify, embrace, and look deeply at the seed of fear, he offered us the practice of the Five Remembrances: '[1] I am of the nature to grow old. I cannot escape old age. [2] I am of the nature to have ill health. I cannot escape ill health. [3] I am of the nature to die. I cannot ex cape dying. [4] All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them. I cannot keep anything. I cone here empty-handed, and I go empty-handed. [5] My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground on which I stand.' Everyday we have to practice like this, taking a few moments to contemplate each exercise as we follow our breathing. We practice the Five Remembrances so that the seed of fear can circulate. We must invite it up to be recognized, to be embraced. And then when it goes back down again, it becomes smaller." Id. at 175.).